Filed Under (UnLearning Difficulties With NLP) on 22-03-2010
Tagged Under : graphic organizers help learning difficulties, graphic organizers important students learning difficulties, graphic organizers learning disabilities, learning disabilities coaching London UK, learning disabilities coaching Toronto, NLP graphic organisers, NLP graphic organizers, NLP graphic organizers students learning difficulties, NLP graphic organizers students learning disabilities
Graphic organizers are important not only for students with “learning disabilities” [I recommend replacing the word disabilities with the word difficulties because disability implies a static permanent state while difficulty implies a static but temporary state = we find a solution, implement it, practise, and the difficulty will change to ease…], but also for students with any abilities because:
- they provide an instant visual source of information
- students create a document which helps memorizing the subject, learning the word and memorizing it in the context of the subject, and trains students in writing – and neatness of writing
- a picture can be more memorable than words – especially to children who are used to pictures from birth to when they come across words at school [which is often what confuses their brains]. So when the writing is organized in a graphic organizer, people will more likely remember the sections of each topic as pictures. Adults also hanker pictures! We live in the most visual era of all times!
- as words are two-dimensional [which in many cases is exactly what confuses the brain], a graphic organizer adds the perception of three dimensions which makes it easier for the brain to handle
- since paragraphs of words can give an overwhelming / chaotic impression, graphic organizers will chunk the piles of words into manageable bits which will be easier to take in.